Outer Beauty
(inspired by David Shields' Life Story, available in 'The Next American Essay', ed. John D'Agata)
Clothes make the man. I´m not cynical, I´m just experienced. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, of the beer holder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye. But if you don´t like what I´m wearing... feel free to undress me! My wild oats have turned to shredded wheat. Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up. You don´t get a body like this by working out. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
So, life has a hill. Get over it!
Always remember you´re unique... Just like everyone else. Ham and Eggs – a day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig. I may not be right, but I can sure sound like it. If we are what we eat, then I´m fast, cheap and easy. Size does matter! I never fake a sarcasm. If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? Weapons of mass distraction. Whisky tango foxtrot. Upon the advice of my attorney, my shirt bears no message at this time. Never judge a book by it´s cover.
reflection:
I really enjoyed David Shield's Life Story, which was a narrative entirely composed out of novelty bumper plates (I think!). I tried to do the same, this time using t-shirt slogans to create a piece about beauty.
No comments:
Post a Comment