Sunday, 20 February 2011

Week 3: Acrostic/stanzaic Chance Poems

1.

The New Bling


Think “higher end –
New economy wealth!
Bling like investing (never) glases.

There, homes extreme,
November entertains Warhol´s
Bishops. Lees inhabits near gold-plated

Terrace houses. Excessively
normal, everything without
Bottles. London in noise glassware.


This was formed from an article in The Guardian weekend Saturday supplement (29.01.11) about the ridiculous spending habits of the super rich when it comes to home furnishings, even in this "age of austerity".


2.

State of Clay


State “These anemone thrive evergreen”
Of fear
Clay leaves are yellow.

Struggling, the autumn-topped edge
of foliage
(classic like adding year

sticky types) acquired tall elegant
orange flowers.
Colourful loveable actually yellow.

Taken from the same issue of The Guardian, this time from an article giving advice on planting in clay/sticky soil.


3.

From Bad to Verse

Fantastically read, open moment
blisters are dreadful:
Tell odes,
Verse evil, recite shivers, equilibrium

Favourites roll orange-spined marrow
books, although doom
Thursday. One
voice, emotional, reasons “summon Esterhaus”.


I hate poetry


Inheritance.
Hardbacks always tell evil
poetry of equilibrium. Thursday reads you.

Inches.
Heartbreak although tragedy. Emotional
Pants one even told recite yourself.

Imagination,
however ancient, terrifying, especially
power, odes Esterhaus. Terror rolls you


These two were created from a brilliant article by Lucy Mangan (available here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/oct/02/national-poetry-day-2010) where she sets out by stating how she hates poetry and by the end of the article she´s demonstrated just how wonderful poetry is. I tried it first with the title "From bad to verse" and then again with the line "I hate poetry". I admit I cheated a bit with the second one, selecting a better word from the text on occasion.


Overall I found I had to use punctuation to create meaning. This perhaps is a hinderance for the independent reader, as maybe one should find one´s own meaning from the punctuation free poem. However I found it more rewarding for me as the poet to create meaning in this way out of what seemed to be a nonsense exercise. In the end, it seems to have produced some interesting concepts.


1 comment:

  1. Peter: These are wonderful witty poems Amy. I kept wondering how much manipulation and how much chance went into them, but whatever the mixture they work very well. Again and again you lift out startling and resonant phrases. My favorites are the bling and the poetry acrostics, but that last line of the one on plants, 'colourful loveable actually yellow' is also terrific.

    ReplyDelete